Sunday, 29 November 2009

I want to be an artist

It's been more than a year since I made artwork in the traditional fashion. After graduating in 2008 I have been creative in a number of ways. Like initiating and directing a collective of artists, developing working relationships with other creatives, hosting workshops in schools, producing commercial videos for various co-operations, designing posters, printing t-shirts and taking photographs, but... I want to be an artist.

I want to explore and discuss my passions without having to compromise. This is what I understand the difference between a 'creative' and an 'artist'. A creative takes the opportunities they get and is creative with them, an artist simply explores what they are interested in, discusses with others, before moving to the next idea. I'm not saying I won't accept other jobs and apply my creativity, I just want a little more time to explore my own ideas as I find it more satisfying.

I have a few ideas kicking around that aren't necessarily in keeping with those I had at university, but I want to just get them out into the world and then have a chat. If you're interested, please respond to my posts on here. Communication is the most important part.


Bruce Nauman, Dance or Exercise on the Perimeter of a Square (Square Dance) 1967-68

2 comments:

  1. Im glad tha youhave done this Dave. I have every confidence that a blog can only help you get to where you want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ross. It's helping already.

    ReplyDelete

1.Write your comment below
2.Choose your profile (if you do not have one click Name/Url or Anonymous in the drop-down box)
3.Click Post Comment.